I was dining at an upscale restaurant and the bill came out to $49.82. I pulled out a $50 to pay, and told the waitress I didn't need change. Goes without saying, but I was planning on leaving the rest of her tip on the table. I used to work as a server. I always tip generously.
The waitress misunderstood my intentions and said "Really?" loud enough for all the other diners to hear. Before I could say anything, she said something like "Woooow- thanks for the generous tip", snatched the payment from the table, and walked away in a huff. All the diners around me were staring daggers at me. It was humiliating.
I flagged down the manager and let him know what happened. He knows me and knows I'd never stiff servers.
He offered to comp the meal, but I said it wasn't necessary. I just wanted to let him know what happened and would be on my way. The manager insisted that I was owed an apology. Made sense to me at the time. She apologizes, gets her tip, I leave, everyone is happy.
When the manager called the waitress over, both of us saw her roll her eyes as she was walking here. As soon as the manager saw this, he put on his "you're about to get fired" face. All the tears and pleading made no difference. It was ugly. People were filming with their cell phones.
As she was being escorted to the back by some kitchen workers (who probably think I'm the second coming of Satan). The manager insisted on comping our meal and we went on our way.
When we got home, the wife claimed I was an asshole for making a huge scene out of nothing, and getting that poor girl fired over a simple misunderstanding. I feel like all I did was share a legitimate complaint to the manager. She is the one who escalated it by rolling her eyes at us. Am I being unreasonable? What would you have done in this situation?
[link] [comments]
from reddit: the front page of the internet https://ift.tt/2URZRzY
No comments:
Post a Comment