Friday, March 22, 2019

TIFU by being too good at my job

So this has happened over the last month and half coming to a head yesterday.

I started a new job, admin, about a month and a half ago. I do pretty basic administrative work: check deposits, filing, follow ups, etc. It's a full time gig, and it might take me HALF of the day to do all my duties. I don't know who had this job last, but they fucked around A LOT. I try to fuck around and I still get things done SUPER fast. This has led to frustration for me and my supervisor because I run out of things to do, and I have to interrupt her work so she can find things for me to do.

Btw, I am not the kind of person where I enjoy getting paid to do nothing. Sure, it's nice on occasion, but not half of the day every single day.

Fast forward to yesterday: I ask my supervisor if there was anything I could work on, and she asks me to shut her door. She asks me how I feel about getting my hours cut. Not just by a few hours. She's thinking me being there 25 HOURS PER WEEK! That's significant.

Moral of the story: don't do your best because you will get punished for it.

tl:dr I did my job too well and got my hours cut for it

EDIT: Thank you to everyone on the "real world" advice. It does suck, but that's the way it goes, I suppose. My boss called me into his office to talk about the situation. He firstly apologized for suggesting hours being cut before they had a game plan. He made it very clear that he and the company appreciates my work ethic and initiative and that they DO NOT want to lose me as an employee. Apparently, when they hired me on there was originally going to be more work duties for me, but for some reason out of his control, that didn't happen. They are going to merge me into another area so I can fulfill a normal working week, not have hours cut, and most importantly keep my pay.

submitted by /u/SupahFlyChickk to r/tifu
[link] [comments]

from reddit: the front page of the internet https://ift.tt/2HLZKST

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wikipedia article of the day for September 2, 2020

The Wikipedia article of the day for September 2, 2020 is Third Silesian War . The Third Silesian War was a conflict between Prussia and a...