Some paperbacks from my school days are not in great condition anymore. As I was looking to re-buy some of my favourites, I was appalled to see the film posters as the book covers. I understand it’s good for marketing, but there should be another way of incorporating the film adaption without changing the entire book cover. It just feels wrong, even when I enjoy both the film and the book. Contrariwise, I have never seen a film adaptation attempting to incorporate a book’s cover design or artwork into their poster. The image of actors on a book cover really impedes my personal conception of the characters, and ruins the reading experience.
I couldn’t afford the hardcover editions so I ended up getting the books on my Kindle; I’d take a black and white digital book cover over a film poster any day.
EDIT 1: I’d like to mention something regarding different versions being available. I am from India, and sometimes you can only find one edition on Amazon (generally the latest edition). The original cover versions are imported; and after duty/tax, the final cost can be anywhere between 3 to 4 times the original price. I know it’s not the same for everyone, but I thought I’d still mention it. Generally, most non-popular or non-mainstream books are expensive in India due to the import charges.
EDIT 2: Thanks for the Gold stranger!
I want to address comments regarding “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover”. I personally believe a physical copy (e-books are certainly a different domain) of a book goes beyond the plot it contains. The smell, the colour and feel of the pages, the cover, the weight, the size; all of these things matter. They matter in the sense that they affect the aesthetic experience of reading a book, either in a positive way or a negative way. Does these factors make a book good or bad? No, absolutely not; but it affects the experience of reading it. Might just be an aesthetic pet-peeve thing, but it’s still a thing to me.
[link] [comments]
from reddit: the front page of the internet https://ift.tt/2u3sT3Q
No comments:
Post a Comment