Thursday, January 3, 2019

TIFU by letting my parents have access to my bank account and student loan money.

Backstory- My parents wanted me to learn responsibility with money when I was in middle school so they opened a bank account for me with a debit card. They have complete access to it and can take out or add money if they want to. Multiple times while in high school I had money saved up in my account and they took huge chunks out because they “needed it.” I was paid back in increments when they took large amounts of money out but I still don’t think they have fully paid me back for all the money they took.

Fast forward to now and I still haven’t learned my lesson of keeping my money in a separate account that they don’t have access to. I have to take our student loans to pay for school (tuition, rent, utilities, food, etc). I had $4000 in student loan money in my account last month and I get a text from my mom saying she transferred all that money to her account so she could pay my rent in advance for the next couple months. I didn’t understand why she did that because I’ve been paying my monthly rent just fine but I said okay and didn’t think twice about it until yesterday.

My rent is due the first of each month and if my mom would have prepaid my rent, I should not have gotten a notification to pay it. But I did get a notification and I was confused. I logged online to look at my account and it said I needed to make a payment. I thought it was just an error or something so I called the 24 hour hotline and they told me there was no payment ever made. I confronted my mom about this and she said “oh crap I forgot to pay it! Let me go pay it real quick.” I was relieved but only for a little bit. She came back later and told me my dad spent all my loan money on bills and Christmas gifts because he thought it was theirs. She told me she is sorry but they don’t have the money right now to pay me back because they don’t have any extra money leftover after Christmas. So now I have come up with enough money to pay my rent and utility bill and am out $4000. I doubt I will ever see anything close to that $4000 again.

TL;DR - Parents have access to my bank account and mom took out my $4000 in loan money to pay my rent. Dad spent all the money and they can’t pay me back. I’m out $4000.

Edit - I have since created a new checking account online at a different bank and will be moving what money I have left into the new account and will be adding my direct deposit to the new account. Thank you all for the advice so far and the support!

Edit 2 - I am overwhelmed with the number of people who have PM’d me offering advice, kind words, and even offering me money or starting a gofundme. I’m amazed how much people would do for a complete stranger and can’t express my gratitude enough. However, I was smart enough with my money last semester and have enough saved up to still pay my rent. I never thought I would need a rainy-day fund so soon haha. But I am okay and it would feel wrong to accept any of your money. You all are an example of how much good is in this world.

submitted by /u/prisonMike_wants_out to r/tifu
[link] [comments]

from reddit: the front page of the internet http://bit.ly/2F6rwca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wikipedia article of the day for September 2, 2020

The Wikipedia article of the day for September 2, 2020 is Third Silesian War . The Third Silesian War was a conflict between Prussia and a...