Wednesday, November 28, 2018

[FL] Protesters causing me to lose business and scaring employees. Can I sue?

(Wasn't sure what flair to use, mods change it if you feel the need)

I'm the owner of a small thrift (more like antique/secondhand) store. We just finished our Black Friday deals which were less than what people were hoping (gotta still make profits).

So I placed a sign on our door saying "Happy Holidays" because you know, not everyone celebrates the same winter holidays.

Well lo and behold some people didn't take too kindly at being "personally attacked" by a small business owner that they decided to form a mass in front of my business.

One of my employees goes out and asks them politely to move because of fire code violation and to vacate private property (I own the land, I'm not renting the land) and gets told they're exercising their constitutional rights to protest.

OK, I go out (should be stated out means opening the door, there isn't enough room to actually step out of the building) and tell them vacate the property or the police will be called for trespassing. They refuse to move.

Op: 911 what's your emergency?

M: Hi sorry to bother you. I'm the owner over at business name and adress I have a group causing a fire hazard in front of my store, they've refused to vacate twice.

Op: Okay (probably thinking this isn't an emergency and he's right I just didn't know the other number) I'll have an officer come by and check on that.

A while later the squad car pulls up and tells the people to leave the property. They pull it the constitution on him and bless him he asks them to move again, tells them I own the property and they can't block the door. Says they can protest off the property a good 10 meters away.

So they do. Then occasionally send one person in to walk in, walk out. Trying to mess up my ratio but we don't have an electronic counter because we're a small business and aren't corporately owned. Eventually they start holding up guests walking in and handing them bibles saying they were a gift from me (had a guest come and let me know. A regular that knows I wear a pentacle necklace everyday because I'm pagan).

Now here I am a day later with a group of people handing out bibles and teaching "the good word" in my name causing me to lose regular customers! I even had a girl come in from next door (she used the back) and ask why there were people out front and if she could be escorted to her car Because she didn't want trouble from them

What are my options?

submitted by /u/AmyTheVantas to r/legaladvice
[link] [comments]

from reddit: the front page of the internet https://ift.tt/2Pa1Egg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wikipedia article of the day for September 2, 2020

The Wikipedia article of the day for September 2, 2020 is Third Silesian War . The Third Silesian War was a conflict between Prussia and a...